Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit12

Structural
Jul 23, 2014
US
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Per the article, "Olson said there was black sludge that poured out the ceiling and her husband saw two kids covered in it."

Sounds like the duct had more than just air in it.

Since the fallen ducting is below the ceiling, it's interesting that it's noted that "black sludge" poured out of that ceiling.

Here's a pretty nice before shot:

and another:

I'm kinda suspecting the supports for the duct were too weak. The place is only 5 years old, and I just don't believe the dreaded chlorine could have destroyed the supports that quickly.

Think: crap design

spsalso

Good link...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

5 years is a long time spsalso. I've personally seen a 316 SST hose clamp corrode and fail on a vent fan for WTP clearwell in a couple weeks.

Here's an interesting thing to me. The Gaylord hotel is in charge of the "investigation". Seems to me that should be independent.

It isn't legal to use SS overhead in public pools.
There are books about the issues, in Europe mostly.
People forget that it isn't the Cl, it is the volatile chloramines that drive rapid pitting and SCC.
And those are what you smell in a pool room.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

EPA.gov said:
Chloramines are most commonly formed when ammonia is added to chlorine to treat drinking water. Chloramines provide longer-lasting disinfection as the water moves through pipes to consumers.

Dang kids whizzing in the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back