Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HVAC Industry vs Piping Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbest1966

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2010
US
I have several questions to ask. I have piping background wanting to most between HVAC vs piping.
What the Pro vs Cons HVAC vs Piping:

Which one pays the most?

Which one has the least up and down and for stable?

Which one is easier start a business?

Which offers easier employment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What the Pro vs Cons HVAC vs Piping:
For an engineer or designer, probably not much difference; do some calcs, put some lines on a plan.
For a tradesman, as I suspect you are, new piping goes in before the building is covered. HVAC goes in after. Do you like to work outside, or inside?

Which one pays the most?
No idea; I'd guess it depends on how badly your skill is needed on a particular site.

Which one has the least up and down and for stable?
These days, nobody knows. Here in SoFla, there's a steady business in AC replacements in older homes.

Which one is easier start a business?
Here in SoFla, judging by the people we've hired, the barriers to entry are not substantial. Our experience has taught us to work with older companies. Getting to be an older company is clearly not easy.

Which offers easier employment.
I haven't seen a plumber or an AC tech put in an easy day, except for the ones who have just branched out on their own, who will talk the ear off a brass monkey, telling you how hard they work. ... while some minion does the actual work.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

HVAC comes in two parts.

The part where you size ducts for buildings is not a whole lot different from sizing pipes for buildings. Since buildings are mostly custom, I'd expect relative stability, and you get to work for people who are probably engineers.

The part where you design equipment to connect to the ducts, like air handlers and condenser units, is a highly competitive consumer product business. Expect low margins, management with zero technical skills, crazy schedules, high turnover, and serious offshore competition.

You can probably get some better answers if you are more specific about what sort of things you have done, and what you think you're capable of doing.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back