Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HVAC Load calculation for small commercial projects (USA) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC-Novice

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2022
US
I have experience with Trace 700 and we had licenses for Trace3D. Before we renew our T3D license I was wondering if we should switch. We had some changes (only myself using the licenses we have). Our projects also only are small remodel projects, and we don't need the energy simulation part.
I'm also not happy with how Trane implemented many things (and how they kept many illogical things from T700).

At some point I tried out IES. but besides the cost, that is way too complex for what we do at this point.

I know HAP now is 3D. but that also includes the energy simulation etc. and watching their video makes it look like they still partially use the UI from 30 years ago. I'm not exactly sure if it is better than T3D, but like to hear from actual users.

So I was wondering if a different software is better. It should have:
- some sort of 3D visualization of the building
- If it works well, a gbXML import woudl be nice (although, that never went well in T700)
- All designs are in Revit. I'm not aware of a good load plugin. but if there was one, or a software that can use the Revit model better, that would be great.

what are recommendations for good software to look at?

Edit: I realize there are trial versions that will answer many of my questions. But that takes time and I like to narrow down what I try. and our IT has a very complex software approval process before I even can install a trial software.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yet more IT people who don't understand what it means to be a service department.

The dutiful Microsoft drones are quick to invoke the S-word: "Security" -- and all are expected to genuflect at its mention.
Never mind the L-word: Lazy, and/or the U-word: Unimaginative.

If they can't be bothered, or can't think of a way to economically and expeditiously allow this experimentation without putting the security of the enterprise at risk, then there should be new blood in that department.

I can't say I disagree. But I have to make the best of it.
For software standalone software I usually test a trial version on my private PC to avoid this lengthy process. I also feel bad for the software vendor since they have to go through the effort without knowing I ever buy the software.
I'm planning on testing Carrier SDL once Carrier gives me the trial version. This seems to at least have a 3D UI.
I also try to test the Ripple HVAC tool. but this requires Revit and so I have to wait for IT approval since I only can test it on a PC with Revit installed. This would be nice as it is integrated with Revit and doesn't require separate exporting and manual changes as I change things.

Other options are:
[ol 1]
[li]Chvac, but this looks too dated and has no 3D view of the building.[/li]
[li]Wrigthsoft seems to be way too simple.[/li]
[li]IES is way too expensive and way too complex for my projects.[/li]
[li]Trace 3D Load maybe an alternative to Carrier. I'm not really happy with the way it is set up, though[/li]
[/ol]

I've used CHVAC since I started in the industry. The software definitely looks dated but I will say that I love its simplicity and they seem to keep the calcs up to date with changing codes. I've had a couple instances of not understanding something and I've called the company and the person who picked up is the guy who writes the program. He talked through it with me then and there which was pretty cool. That being said, I haven't tried any other program so I can't compare any others to it.

I think I tried CHVAC about 12+ years ago. but looking at the website today, it looks like they still have the manual entry of the building (like the old HAB/Trace used to be) where you enter the orientation and size of each wall manually without " seeing" the building. is that still true?
Looking at the screenshots, it seem to be.

HAP/Trace moved to a 3D UI where you " see" the actual building and also can trace PDF plans etc. to build the building. I find that this makes the building creation simpler and reduces errors since you don't have false walls by accident or have them in the wrong orientation.

No, Trace700 (the ancient version) was the exact same way as CHVAC and you had to manually enter each room. And you could make complete mistakes without seeing - you could enter 4 north walls instead of the 4 walls in each direction and the program would never do a sanity check. I don't know where the name " Trace" comes from, but there was no tracing of plans. The new version (Trace3D) allows tracing the 3D building.

The 3D software (like HAP nowadays, and Trace3D) show what you model in3D and theoretically you should not be able to model the wrong building. we used Trace3D... however, I don't need the energy simulation features and I'm not totally happy with the way it works.

I tried HAP, which didn't work well and support is non-existent. I also tried T3D, which has good support, but too many odd bugs.

The best solutions for ME is a Revit plugin called Ripple HVAC

it works really nice and you can customize the schedules and parameters etc. And it is really quick since you don't have to model the building again.

And it is free. But honestly, it is worth money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back