Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HVDC Warning Indicator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougC.

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2021
US
I am looking for a way to indicate danger in a HVDC (80-1,000 VDC) junction module when dangerous voltage is present even when the machine is shut down. The system I am working with can have stored voltage of up to 1,000 VDC. I am thinking that I could use an LED that is connected to the HVDC through a current limiting resistor that would stay on down to about 40-80 V and then go off.

My constraints in order of importance are 1. space efficient, 2. simple, 3. cost effective.

So far for this I have used a DC/DC Converter to drop the 80-1,000 VDC down to a regulated 12 VDC to power a TruMeter Voltmeter. It has been working well, however, this method meets none of my constraints.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An LED would require 5 to 10mA of current for typical brightness. Means you will need minimum a 5 to 10W power resistor. Doesn't have to be an LED. You could use a good old-fashion neon bulb. They will light well with 500uA current. So you would need more like two 1 Meg 1/2W resistors in series. Once the 1000V excites the neon, the current will flow, and the bulb will remain ON as the voltage drops.

You could begin experimenting with a typical 115VAC neon pilot lamp. These usually contain internally a 220K to 270K resistor in series. Just add more resistors in series. A single typical axial 1/2 resistor should not be used at more than 500V which is why I suggest several in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back