Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hybrid Modelling (R14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phodge

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2003
SE
Hi,

We have just switched to R14 from R12, and have been looking at the various new commands and functionality.

I have noticed that by enabling hybrid modelling when creating a new part that elements such as surfaces etc are included within the part body tree.

Has anyone found any use for this (rather than just using open bodies), apart from creating a very long part body tree??!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I asked the same question several months ago. Back then the concensus was "do not use hybrid design" but that was due to our ignorance of the new feature and the feeling that it could cause alot of confusion. Where I currently work, we still recommend not using hybrid design.

Two benefits of using hybrid design are:

1. all construction geometry is located in the same part body as the solid (and geometric sets can be added inside the part body) making it easier to understand how a part was made

2. it forces users to structure the geometry in the tree in a heirarchical order

Jack

a few more thoughts on hybrid design:

Some utilities only work with Part Bodies, so you have access to surface geometry if you use hybrid design. (I don't remember which utilities)

We're using R15 now, and we have not seen any negative impacts by using non-hybrid and hybrid CATParts.

Once a hybrid part is created, it is very difficult to convert it back to non-hybrid.

Jack

Thanks for the feedback Jackk,

Although I acknowledge that there may be a benefit for some users to have the functionality you have described, I can't see any major benefit for the type of work my colleagues, given the work we are currently undertaking.

Thanks all the same

I use this new functionality as more of a "layering" setup rather than surfaces vs solids etc...

It allows me to keep better track by keeping all according geometry in the same "layer" (body or geometrical set).

Since layers are no longer used, this is a good alternative for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back