Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrauli Accumulator ASME Exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCbrad

Industrial
Dec 1, 2008
CA
Hello,

I am wondering if I can get some assistance with reasoning on the nessesity to have accumulators registered and built to ASME VIII.

Although not stated in U-1(c)(2)(c), can they not be included given the function of the equipment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you use ASME VIII, they won't explode and kill people.

A few years ago, a concrete truch manufacturer used non-code aluminum accumulator-type tanks to hold about 50-100 gallons of water. Instead of pumping out the water, compressed air from the truck's braking system was used to pressure up the tanks. After a few years, one went BOOM, and killed the delivery driver. I am reasonable sure their liability was in the $$millions.

Code vessels are cheap when all the consequences are calculated. Ask your insurance carrier.

Hydraulic Accumulators manufactured in the US are considered Non Fired Pressure Vessels and must be designed to ASME VIII. I would suggest you get a copy of said code and read up.

Now, if you are receiving these accumulators from Europe... You could run into the same issue as me. Most European manufacturers (Most specifically Germany) do not design or manufacture to any code. They follow their rules of thumb and call it good enough. Unfortunately for me, that resulted in a catastrophic failure which could have resulted in a loss of life.

If you need the contact for an expert, let me know and I can dig up the name of the guy that came in and wrote us our liability letter explaining which codes applied and why we were kind of in spec.

Cabbages, knickers, It hasn't got A BEAK!

sbozy25: European Manufactures design and manufacture acc. to the European Pressure Vessel Directive which is law in all EU member countries. If there are hydraulic accumulators which are not manufactures acc. to this standard, then they might fall under the very, very few exeptions. But to say that there is no standard in Europe isn't correct. We bought from at least two supplies in the past and received full set of documentation and certificates.

Well that is your opinion, but I have never met an accumulator supplier in Europe who manufactures to any European standard.... I am lucky to find them ASME....

I have met pressure vessel manufactures in Europe whom follow European codes... but not accumulators...

Maybe I completely misunderstand the word hydraulic accumulator but for me they are subjected to the pressure vessel codes. Have a look at They call these vessels accumulators and they follow the European Pressure Vessel Directive. That is one of the companies I meant.

The original poster, BCbrad, has not visited the site since August 18th, the day he posted this question. It seems he got his answer and is not interested in the followup.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

To clarify my point... Hydraulic accumulators do not have a specific code applied to them. Thus, most manufactures can get away without following it.

Hydac treats them as non-fired pressure vessels and follows ASME and the applicable European standards. However, there are many large companies out there that do not. Call it illegal if you want, but I challenge you to out-smart there legal guys.

regardless, I'm done with this post, the guy isn't asking any more questions, we should all just drop it...

ASME Section VIII, Paragraph U-1(c)(2) does excempt hydraulic cylinders from the requirements of the Code. But it also states, if a hydraulic cylinder is to have a 'U' stamp, then all applicable requirements of the Code must apply. This means ASME stamped overpressure devices, identified materials, procedures, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back