Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hydraulic and hydrologic spread sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlnva350

Civil/Environmental
Jan 29, 2008
US
I've recently started a new job as a civil engineer at a DOD agency. I've been working as a civil engineer since 2005 and while I've performed many calculations by hand, as with most of you, I used software applications to crunch numbers at my last job. Specifically, I used stormcad for HGL comps, HydroCAD for storm routing, and flowmaster (or culvert master) for various other calculations. The agency I now work for provides us with 2010 civil 3d so we're not completely lost, but there is no software for hydraulic calculations or storm routing. And there is little chance that we're going to get it soon (even if I bought something with my own money, which I wouldn't, I can't install it).

So here's the question: do any of you have any H&H spreadsheets that you could share with me? I understand the danger that can come with spreadsheets of this nature. I will need to understand how the sheet is doing its job. And yes, I have created spreadsheets in the past and may end up doing just that to meet my needs. But I thought I would ask anyway.
Thank you all,
Dean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dean - FHWA has hydraulics software for free ie. HY-8 culvert hydraulics and you can download TR55/20 also. As to spreadsheets, in my opinion the best thing to do is code it yourself. There is a forum on this website that will help with visual basic code ( This way you know what you coded. I was able to code HEC22 in about a week, off and on.

If I remember correctly civil3d incorporates hydraflow programs into their code. you may have everything you need in that software package.

gbam,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, if it's not already loaded on the computer, it cannot be installed. The computers are maintained by a contractor and it takes takes years to get something approved for install. I've used HEC-HMS quite a bit...but I can't use it here. Even if it is free. As for the hydroflow products, they haven't been integrated yet. I think you can install them if you have civil 3d but I don't think the contractor has approved them(I need to look into that).

Regarding the spreadsheets; yes writing them myself would be best and I will most likely go that route. But I'm still looking for any sheets people might be willing to share :).
Thanks,
Dean

Yes, Civil 3D has everything you need with it. Hydraflow Hydrographs, Hydraflow Storm Sewers and Hydraflow Express. There's also a SWMM engine as a Subscription Extension for C3D 2011.

I heard some interesting horror stories about a week ago from a government contractor working on-site at a BRAC job. He says that nobody is allowed to download pictures onto their computers in the entire construction operation, except through one machine. No transfer of information from flash drives to computers either, except through that one machine. This is for a veritable Cube Cavern of inspectors, contractors, project managers, APMs, project engineers, etc.

So it doesn't surprise me you can't get software installed.

Listen to francesca, she appears at a glance to be the resident Civ3D hydro rockstar, she can probably tell you how to integrate all the hydraflow stuff into your drawings. I haven't used it since it was stand-alone.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

In 2010 I believe that the Hydraflow extensions were accessed from the Start Menu and could've been left out of the installation, but in 2011 you get to them from the Analyze tab on the ribbon. 2011 also has the HEC-RAS import/export tools integrated whereas for 2009 and 2010 it was a Subscription add-on.

beej67 the DOD implemented those restrictions quite a while ago. You can't change your password without inserting your military ID into a card reader -- good luck if you're a reservist who can't get to a card reader for a couple months! They also banned external media, which was great for my father-in-law's unit that does mission planning on PCIe cards that their helicopters read. It just took a certain CW5 with 35 years in the army to blow his top at the right senior officer he taught how to fly as a Captain to get a waiver for his unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back