Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydraulic cylinder force conversion to torque at knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcusvonbrutus

Marine/Ocean
Aug 18, 2009
CA
I am designing a manually adjustable master cylinder that will adjust the amount of spring compression "preload" for a coil-over-damper setup for our product. This is done by pushing hydraulic fluid from the master cylinder through a hydraulic hose to a hydraulic "ram". The ram will extend or contract through a range to acquire the desired preload.
The range of preload force required is between 90lbs - 300lbs.

Where I need a little help is determining how to calculate the torque at the knob when compressing the spring at predetermined locations.

knowns:

1. force @ ram = force @ cylinder (let's make it 350 lbs)
2. pressure at each component is determined by the area of each component.
3. thread pitch = 1/2"-10 (ACME)
4. radius of knob = 1.5"
5. coefficient of friction (stainless on stainless ACME)= 0.16

I am struggling on how to incorporate the mechanical advantage from the thread pitch into the calculations. I understand that a coarser pitch = harder / finer pitch = easier action at the knob.

My desire is to tweak design parameters to get a reasonable action at the handle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi marcusvonbrutus

You can get a rough estimate of the torque from using the formula's for bolt fastening a rough and ready formula is

T= 0.2*D*F

where F = axial force ie in your case the spring

D = diameter of fastener

0.2 = friction coefficient for unlubricated threads

For a more accurate figure taking thread pitch into account etc you can use this formula from this site:-

here is one for power screws too:-

desertfox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back