Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hydraulic drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuTaTeD

Petroleum
Nov 1, 2007
US
First, i hate lying to get in your forum. I am not an engineer. I do have an interest in the petroleum field. Now that being said here is what I need help with. I am looking to design a piece of equipment. This would be similar to a hydraulic winch but larger and faster. I want the main spool to be approx 3' across with the barrel of the spool being 8-10" in diameter there will be a 2" shaft through the center of the spool with bearings on either side. I am looking for information on some type of hydraulic motor that is direct driven on the 2" shaft. I am trying to stay away from a chain drive on this unit. The motor would have to be bidirectional and variable speed (10-500 RPMs) and also be able to lift around 5 tons. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey...

"This would be similar to a hydraulic winch but larger and faster"

There are some very big, very fast and very powerful hydraulic winches available, so I doubt that your statement is true.

Someone like Sauer Danfoss or Parker Hannifin or Eaton will have something like what you need.

Parker's F11 or F12 motors will eat the torque that you require. These motors are bi-directional with a working pressure of up to 420 bar. Open or closed loop.

They also have lots of drive shaft options so there is nothing stopping you now...;-)

Have you got a hydraulic system and control strategy sorted out?

Regards

Adrian

Why not use an air motor. Only a single supply at 120psi against high pressure and 3 pipes for a hydraulic unit.
Also the air winch is portable to an extent. Check out Ingersoll rand and Beebe for your air motor.

Hagglunds, a swedish hydraulic motor manufacturer, seems to be the type of motor you describe, but you seem to be trying to match the winder to the motor rather than the motor to the winder requirements.

Establish the winder requirements first tnen select a motor to suit. You may find you require a significantly smaller motor than the Hagglunds type.

andycapp

Think on, Radial piston motor. High torque & low speed. Study your application carefully & there could be a possibility to mount this motor directly without any gear box.

Visit website
Rajan Bedi
THE TECHNICAL ASSOCIATES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back