Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydraulic fluid on car

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgert21

Automotive
May 23, 2018
US
Does hydraulic fluid do damage to car paint? Today a truck was next to my car and from what I was told was a hydraulic pump broke and got fluid all over my car. To the point where it wasnt drivable. I was not by my car when this happened. My car was sent through a car wash a couple times soon after. I now notice what looks like tiny dots of rust spackled over my entire car. There is also tiny dots on all of my chrome trim. I also noticed stains that look like drips. I have a white car. Would this be from the fluid? I just bought the car a few months ago and looked it over pretty close. I did not see this before.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's glycol ester hydraulic fluid from brake systems that strips paint. Mineral oil hydraulic fluid can certainly stain paint, especially after prolonged exposure. Neither will affect chrome. A car wash isn't going to use an aggressive detergent. I would suggest washing the car with some Dawn dish soap as it had a good balance of detergents and won't harm paint.

If it was actually a pump that broke and not just a hose, there would be finely divided pieces of the pump (mostly iron) in whatever fluid sprayed your car. ... hence the rust spots.

Professional car painters have some special tricks for saving flawed paint jobs without stripping the paint to bare metal and starting over. You might want to talk to a few of them.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

What you're describing sounds like fine iron dust. Running the car through an automated car wash will NOT help.

You need to clay bar it, then wash with dawn or similar, then wax the car. (Dawn will strip all wax/protectant from the finish).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back