Hydraulic lifter wear 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deividas

Automotive
Dec 14, 2014
LT
Hello,
Maybe someone has ideas, how in ~1000km exhaust hydraulic lifter can wear like in these pictures:
IMG_20230701_1902013_flatrq.jpg

IMG_20230701_1901480_zl0iyb.jpg

Also, camshaft lobe for this lifter is also worn, but I don't have pictures of it. Engine has 16 valves, but only one lifter is worn, other lifters and cam lobes are in good condition. I disassembled this lifter to check what's inside, but everything was normal, lifter was not blocked. Using same brand and viscosity oil for last 60k km, changing oil every 10k km. 1000km ago there wasn't any wear signs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tug,, It is very obvious those pictures are the contact or wear surface of said follower, and the OP mentions the lobe wear as well.

It is the combination of substandard materials as well as the lack of any decent EP, you know all the stuff that is being regulated out of existence.

It would be nice to have some very clear close up photos, and include the cam.

That's not so obvious because the contact area should be spherical. It isn't in these pictures. The part also looks very thin. It's not likely a bucket. This needs more explanation.

I've seen some info on older Chevrolet engine flat tappet radius from 35" to 60", I have not researched any more to see which that is for sure.
On that small diameter lifter body you will not see the spherical effect of that in a simple picture.

You have 16 valve engine so I doubt it is a pre-'80s engine but take a peek at this OpelGT forum:

Some comments on random odd lifter damage from pitting. The embedded Hemmings Oil link discusses some concerns with the reduction of zinc compounds in more modern oils:

The lifter pitting you have really looks like an acidic attack. But why would it affect only one lifter of 16 makes me back away from that idea.

More likely it was a duff unit coming from a different production batch and even more likely a different manufacturer.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

The first thing i can think of is indeed water in the oil. That may cause poor lubrication and thus excessive wear of the hardened surface.However, most times when water is the reason for the damage, you will find similar damage on all lifters. Thus the damage is due to specific circumstances with this particular lifter. A possible cause could be temporarily blocking of the oil feed to the tappet or indeed a substandard part. A lack of EP it certainly it is not - EP additives are never used in engine oil since the very high local temperature conditions necessary for EP additives to operate are never met in engines. A lack of anti-wear additive also is not very likely, given the fact that only one lifter is effected. More recent engine oils do indeed contain a lesser amount of anti-wear additive then in the past. However, modern anti-wear additives are much more effective then those used in the past and a lesser amount of additive nowadays will even offer better wear protection then previous types. And anyway - if the oil quality was the reason for the damage, it would be visible on all lifters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back