Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydraulic Oil Seal Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

oswald88

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2016
AE
Hi Everyone
I am facing a frequent failure of Oil seal of Hydraulic Motor, which is used to run LPG pump in bobtail. I tried flushing the line, increasing the pipe size, checking the relief valve. What could be the reasons for this failure? Kindly do share your views.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you are referring to the shaft seal here.

That being the case, then it's worth checking the casing drain line and this again is assuming that you have an piston motor, not a gerotor type.

So, in essence, what I am saying is...we need more information to help you.

Some reasons for failure:
Pressure on the seal too high; return line too small, return goes through a valve that closes when the motor is valved off (cylinfer valve instead of a motor valve), blocked case drain if one exists, no case drain if one is required.
Shaft defect under the seal.
Seal gland bore defect allowing leak past the seal OD.
Wrong seal.
Improperly installed seal.

Ted

Hi Everyone
Thanks for your replies, I am sorry for responding late. Pump details as below
Motor:1
Make: Hydrocar
Model: 200FZ0043DS
Type: Gear

Motor:2
Make: OMFB
Model: HDS 47 D (R)
Type: Piston

The OP mentioned a hydraulic motor application. The Hydrocar part no. is an external gear pump designed for clockwise shaft rotation. Using it as a motor may cause problems depending on the specific design details. For example, external gear pumps sometimes use pressure compensation plates that are only designed to work for a pump with a specific direction of rotation. Check with the manufacturer to see if this pump can be used as a motor.

Assuming the RPM rating of motor is match with the pump rating.
What's the life of the pump?
has anyone checked the pump shaft for any defect?
any excessive vibration during operation?
What about the bearing? is it still ok?
System is clean? Meaning flushing found no contaminant?

Hi tbuelna, thanks for a different view, I didn't check this compatibility till now, I will check and get the information.
@ BEMPE16524: it is 2years old, and there is no unusual vibrations during operation. I inspected the shaft while it has some thermal stress marks (blue and black) on the edges and root of the rotor. We flushed the system and there was no contamination observed.

Oil leak starts immediately when we start the operation.

@BEMPE16524: Yes I tried with another motor, it is working, not I did some machining to fit the right love-joy coupling. Hopefully this motor should work. Will update you if it is successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back