Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TESTING + AIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasboot

Marine/Ocean
Aug 3, 2001
US
Kids studying to be ME told me they want to test a steel cylinder by filling it 90% to 95% with water and 10% to 5% with compressed air. The idea being that compressed air is readily available in their dad's garage, and that by filling only the 10% ~ 5% volume with air it is less dangerous. I told them that pressurized air at high pressure will be dangerous even in a small volume. Can you second my opinion before they hurt themselves ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From a practical point of view, I was lifted 10 feet across a room as an apprentice, by a failing seam on an oil tank that was being tested for leaks, at only ten pounds per square inch using air.
So I concur with your evaluation, filling the tank with water, before adding air will make it less dangerous, but it is STILL dangerous.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

fill 100% water and add air with small bore 1/4 air delivery I would buy it.
why not to get a hand pump. I can test to 5,000 psi with a cheap hand pump.
don't kill yourself

The thing to remind them is that the pressure test will be the first time that their fabrication will have seen pressure. Hence the possibility of failure is ever present. Where that failure could occur is not foreseeable and if that happens in the air filled bit you can still create a projectile or high energy event.

If they want to use air, then create a separate hydro tested vessel which you fill with water and then pressurise with air at the top, making sure that you only use that much water in the test.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back