Hydraulic Resistances 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb2102sm

Chemical
Sep 13, 2013
US
Hi all,

Does anyone knows if there is a good book for hydraulic resistances? (for components such as strainers, expansion joints, etc.)

I found one book on Amazon: Handbook of Hydraulic Resistance by Idelchik I.E. (pictures attached). There are few reviews and I'm not sure how good/bad the book is.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bff49d96-e12b-4432-8009-e2c567f660ec&file=Screenshot_2024-04-04_150449.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Your reference is for sure the most complete document but expensive. It all depends on your objectives. I found it difficult to read because of symbols used.
Other references you should consider:
* Pipe flow A practical and comprehensive guide by Donal C. Rennels and Hobart Hudson
** Flow of fluids through valves, fittings and pipe - TP N 410 by Crane
The link underneath may be good enough :
Just my view.
Pierre

Idelchik is the best for specific cases. Make sure you are dealing with the final issue as many issues of this book contain critical misprints and mistypes. Find errata and make it a habit to doublecheck calculation results by an other method.

I was told in private that many engineering companies had developed proprietary spreadsheets retrieved from Idelchik for internal use only where hydraulic is critical for cost, e.g. coils of fired heaters. Idelchik's symbols is a problem only first 10 years of applying.

Also somewhere here at eng-tips is the forummemer "katmar" which is always a useful source of practical info and the original sources/papers/articles of hydraulic modelling.

What are you looking for though?

"Components " is rather vague.

Strainers are usually dominated by pressure drop dirty and expansion joints are very odd. You normally get this sort of data from the vendor.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back