Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

hydraulics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TW66

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2000
US
what is the average working psi on a subaru power steering <br>pump and with remote resorvoir, would this pump operate a <br>2.25''x14 '' 25 ton at 10,000 psi cylinder.&nbsp;&nbsp;I realize the <br>volume will be slow , however, the load would only be the <br>bed of a lawn trailer with bed size of 30''x 60'' x16''.<br>The pump is to be fitted to a cub cadet lawn tractor so I <br>had to choose a very small pump to fit close space.<br><br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes you can do it. there won't be any problem. Since the load is less. The speed of operation will depend upon the displacement of your pump and the rpm of the engine.

Really? How do you /know/ the rated pressure of the p/s pump is enough to lift even that small load?

I think he's safe, but it might be a bit closer than you imply. (depends on the geometry of the ram - if it is flat in the trailer it could be bad, if it is direct lift on the front of the trailer it's fine, but the stroke is too short.)

Our p/s pump (not a Subaru) is rated for 1400 psi max pressure, 2.5 gpm max flow, at about 750 rpm (having to guess the step-up ratio on the FEAD).

That means his ram will develop a lift of only 3 tons or so, and at a very reasonable 5000 rpm would take about a second to fully stroke the cylinder. Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back