Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hydrazine compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlar49

Materials
Jun 1, 2006
US
Does anyone know where I can find hydrazine compatibility with silver plate and TiN coating? I couldn't find it in MAPTIS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that NASA has published some material compatibility info.
They do use this as a fuel oxidizer.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Hmm...the book by Eckhardt Schmidt, Hydrazine and Its Derivatives has a wealth of compatibility information. You need to be more specific about what you mean, do you care about effects of the materials on hydrazine, or the other way, or both?

Silver in general is mildly catalytic towards hydrazine, but hydrazine won't really do any damage to the silver (it actually would remove tarnish and brighten it a bit). I don't think TiN coatings would react (it's pretty inert stuff, and is attacked by acids not bases = hydrazine), but not sure where to tell you to look for data, not sure if it is in the book or not.

The real problem with either of these is the amount of reaction with the underlying material.
Both of these surfaces will have voids in them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Assuming OP is not associated with NASA, he can email his question to a NASA education outreach office. I bet they will forward your question to an expert. Just describe your need because you will have to convince the education office your question is legit.

Both silver plating and TiN coating are common materials. If there is a hydrazine compatibility concern, I bet it would be tested by NASA. I would take not-in-MAPTIS as a general sign of compatibility, just my educated guess. As Ed pointed out, what is underneath would also matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back