Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hydro-load test of pile supported storage tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

abih

Geotechnical
Nov 14, 2012
I can really take some input from this group. I have a tank farm project consisting of different sized aboveground storage tanks (AST). Since the surface 20+ feet of the site (south of Houston) is very compressible soils, I am recommending pile supported foundations either drilled shafts or augercast.

I know per API-650, we run hydro-load tests for ASTs as I did for my previous projects. However, I wondered this time if hydro-load tests should be recommended from a geotechnical perspective? Settlement is expected to be tiny. Of course the tests can also help on integrity problems etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You couls use a rigid inclusion network plus distribution mattress instead of piles, it's generally a lot more economical. Very often hydro-load tests are carried out to check the steel structure and the geotechs take that opportunity to check the settlement. On piles from a geotechnical point of view it's not necessary, for rigid inclusions it would help.

The tanks are 50 feet in diameter. For the upper 20 feet of soils, we see WOH and pen readings up to 0.2 tsf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back