Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HYDRO TEST FOR VESEL DESIGNED TO 15 PSIG

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellzinc

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2002
CA
We manufactured a condenser designed tube side 80 PSIG & shell side 15 PSIG constructed as per ASME.
ASME U1 stated thet 15psig design is not covered by ASME.
Still our customer wants the shell side Hydro tested with 1.3 x 15 PSIG =19 PSIG as per ASME.

We try to convince them that hydrotest shell side with full of water, no pressure added is enough.

I'd appreciated if somebody met the same situation before could give us an advice. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How was the shell side designed? I would assume for a heat exchanger the same design codes were used just as if it was going to be an official pressure vessel.

In that case, why would you have concerns with hydrotesting it to 1.5x design (or 1.3x as allowed by the current code if you used that approach)?

The difference between Hydrotest to 1.3 x P is that you have to blank all the openings, for big opening ( in this case up to 88" dia ) add a blank, hydro test remove the blank, bevel the edges ( to field install )this could take somme time and cost.

Hydro test full of water would required only turning ( horizontal position )so big opening would be upward, no blanking and bevel afterward involved.

bellzink-

I hope you don't fabricate vessels for my company. Filling the shell with water and no additional pressure would be enough? Is it really too much to ask for you to test it up to the design pressure - what are you afraid of? Is the quality of your fabrication really that poor? And if the shell can handle 15 psi, then are you really afraid of going to 19?

In the "for what its worth" category, you may code stamp a vessel designed for 15 (or less) psig. That issue has been handled in this forum many times before. Thread292-47571, Thread292-41922. I'm sure there are other threads also.

jt

bellzink-

We're posting simultaneously. I can understand your desire to not cover the 88" dia. opening. However... with the vessel turned so that the opening is at the top, how will the welds at the opening be tested. Presumably there is at least a longitudinal seam for that opening which will see nearly no pressure. What would be the benefit of a "fill it with water" test which doesn't stress the seams?

jt

Bellzinc,
Is this a field constructed Condenser?
I believe that most condensers are also constructed with design factors as found in HEI (Heat Exchanger Institute)
If, so:
Take a look @ HEI 9th Edition.
Check Section 8, specifically 8.1.4.1 Condenser Shell.
This should provide you with the info you need for your client.
It just so happens we just went through the same thing.

Humbug

A design pressure of 15 psig means to me that you intend it to operate up to 15 psig. That said, if I was going to own it or be near this piece of equipment while it was under pressure, I'd want to make sure it could handle this pressure. And that to me means a hydrotest.

Doing a leak check at atmospheric pressure would not be acceptable to me. Even 15 psig of steam has enough potential energy that I don't want to risk a loss of containment.

Sorry, should have clarified this better.

"A design pressure of 15 psig means to me that you intend it to operate up to 15 psig for some operating scenario", I realize for a condenser the normal operating pressure is far less than this.

Unfortuantely, I don't have access to HEI 9th edition and I'm curious to know what Humbug's reference says.
HEI 9th Edition.
Check Section 8, specifically 8.1.4.1 Condenser Shell.

Any way one of you could post a brief summary?

My feeling is, this sounds more like a customer/supplier issue rather than Code issue. It would appear that if the customer specified build to code and test per code seems that is what should be done for both tube side and shell side unless there was some other test procedure specified or agreed upon.

Assuming this vessel has been constructed using ASME Section VIII Div. 1, it shall be hydro tested @ 1.3 x design psig at the (top of the vessel).Ther is no such thing as performing a hydro test without pressure added because of the fact the top of the vessel will not show any pressure unless pressure is applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back