Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing for Stamping Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickjk

Mechanical
May 10, 2007
US
Hi All,
I am currently trying to determine if the main and connection journal bearings used on a stamping press could be designed to use hydrodynamic lubrication.
The press is rated at 150tons so for approximation I am using 75 tons of load force at each of the 2 main bearings.
The bearing I am currently studying has the following features:
14" I.D.
4 1/2" width
Supporting Load (75tons) 150,000 lbs
Bearing Pressure 2,380 psi
Length/Diameter Ratio .32
Journal Speed 180 RPM or 3 rev. per second
Viscosity 20 Centipoises at 40c
I used the McKee chart to find my k value which I used to solve my friction value.
k was estimated at .008 and friction coefficient was calculated at .0081

When I calculate the S value to be used with Raimondi and Boyd charts I get a very small number like .0037 which seems like a problem.
Also when I calculated the change in heat the value was extremely high - change of 803 F degrees.

I do not know if the normal hydrodynamic calculations apply because the very high load of the stamping press is only present during 1/8 of its rotation and is not constant. Do you know of any information available on a similar application.

Any suggestions or advice on how to continue with these calculations would greatly be appreciated.
This is my first go at trying to solve this type of a problem.

Thanks in Advance

Nick JK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Mechanical Press speed is currently 100SPM.
I am looking to see what I can do to increase it to 180SPM.
That is where the 1 rev per 3 seconds is coming from.
Used to blank and draw small parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back