Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen Piping 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW2

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2003
US
Should unions be avoided in a hydrogen piping system?
Even though my application is low pressure <50 psig, I still want to adhere to industry standard practice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BobW2:

Hydrogen is the smallest molecule in the Cosmos, from a practical point of view. It will permeate through your steel pipe, albeit slowly. Every plant pipe standard I've worked under and also written has specified a minimum of only flanged connections - with special gaskets. In a practical sense, I consider 100% butt-welded & radiographed piping as the best solution. All the Hydrogen that I've transported has been of a purity exceeding 90% by volume and, as such, devoid of requiring a means to disassemble the piping for maintenance or inspection. Is your H2 of the same quality? If so, that's what I would strongly urge you to do.

I wouldn't even think of permitting anyone to employ screwed fittings or pipe unions on Hydrogen service. I classify screwed fittings and pipe unions as plumbers tools. Experienced pipefitters will tell you the same and sneer at the mention of screwed fittings and pipe unions. The pipe union, in my opinion, was designed to leak water - much less to be applied in Hydrogen service. I consider it nothing less than a cruel joke in this application.

Again, any Hydrogen service is critical and as such deserves what I consider to be the safest installation with utmost mechanical integrity: 100% butt welded and radiographed (where possible).

I hope this experience helps.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

Although welded pipe is generally desireable, one always needs to be able to disassemble the pipe, including maintenance on valves. I work for a major industrial gas company designing hydrogen piping from cryogenic to ambient and at pressures to 18,000 psi. For your application, I'd suggest O-ring unions such as CPV unions for disassembly purposes on small pipe (ie: aprox. 2" and smaller) and flanges on larger pipe.

Also, the leakage from seals such as these will be bubble tight, but will still be many orders of magnitude higher than any 'leakage' through the metal wall. I wouldn't even consider any special precautions because of possible leakage through metal. That leakage is on a quantum level.

Have you considered using tube? For many applications, say 1" or smaller at lower pressure, I'd suggest duel ferrul (ie: Swagelok/Parker A-Lok/Bilok etc...) or 37 degree flared fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back