Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen Piping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPC1

Petroleum
Jun 2, 2012
BR
Hello!

Please, I want to know if stress relief is required for 900 and 600 psi carbon steel hydrogen piping, below 390° F.

What papers or standards may focus this aspect?

Do you know inform the standards the hydrogen industries adopt?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand the temperature references: what is the 390 deg F refer to? The service condition? The pipe preheat?

Also, what do you mean by 600 and 900 psi carbon steel?

See ASME B 31.12 which is specific for hydrogen piping and pipeline, both gaseos and liquid.

Also B 31.3 and API RP 941 also cover some elements of this.

I am not familiar with B 31.12, so you would need to look it up and see for your circumstances whether you need to heat treat or not.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

B31.12 has some (obvious) differences to B31.3; it may not be beneficial to select B31.12 for the design of hydrogen piping instead of B31.3.
One of the conclusions from PVP2011-57209 on the difference on B31.3 vs B31.12 is that
The strict requirements of B31.12 do not provide direct benefits to refining services as hydrogen embrittlement and reduced fatigue lives in hydrogen services have not been demonstrated. Also, in some cases, B31.12 may prohibit the selection of the optimum material for resisting other damage mechanisms.
A review of paper PVP2011-57209 would be very beneficial when cosnidering a design to B31.12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back