Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen Separation from fuel gas (CH4 + H2) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkk

Chemical
Jan 15, 2001
MY
Do u all have any detail information on this type of separation ?? Pls share with me where could i get the more info. on this. This is simply bcos i am doing my plant design in separating these 2 components. Thank you in advanced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think there is commercially available equipment to do this. Anybody know what type of separation and recovery is possible for either of these membrane technologies. I am looking to separate hydrogen from ethane.

I wish to know if anyone is doing research
into into harmonics (oscillation) with the
intent on instant Liebigs condensing.

hey,

I think you should contact the supplier like, Du Pont. I heard that they have the product you may want. It comprises of Nafion as a solid electrolyte, Pt catalyst granules to disassociate the hydrogen from methane and some kind of polymer to separate those fuel and oxidizing gases. I've read the article about it but I forgot the name of it. Sorry.

TO SEPRAT HYDROGEN FROM MATHNE IS COMMERCIALLY AVALIBLE TECHNOLOGY BY MANY ENGNEERING COMPNAY AND UOP.

THEY WILL BE USING PSA OR MEMBRAIN TECHNIQE

I ran across the following language in another website. Mabye this will help:

Silica is a very versatile membrane material with widely varying structure depending on the method and conditions of preparation. In its dense form, silica is permselective to hydrogen and helium and essentially impermeable to other gases. Microporous silica (pores below 2 nm in diameter) has useful separation properties for diverse gas mixtures, but high selectivity can be achieved only when the pores of the material are relatively uniform and smaller than 1 nm. Several groups are developing such membranes using sol-gel techniques to deposit alumina supports. Our group is working on an alternative type of microporous silica of higher thermal stability than the sol-gel silica. This microporous membrane can be used directly for certain separations, e.g. CO2-CH4, or converted into a dense membrane suitable for high-temperature hydrogen separation with applications to fuel cells, processing of synthesis gas, and catalytic dehydrogenations.

Here's the source link:

Membrane separation of methane/hydrogen is commercially offered by Air Products, Air Liquide (my company), and UOP. This is a fairly mature field by gas membrane standards.

Dave Hasse
Air Liquide
dave.hasse@airliquide.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back