Hydrogen storage system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnergeTIX

Mining
May 9, 2023
MA
Hi everyone,
I'm searching for a method and steps to size a hydrogen storage system for a PV/Diesel power plant. If anyone can help please let me know. Thank you!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just start working with the amount of fuel that you need.
How many days at what usage rate.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Hydrogen storage is a bit of a holy grail for the Hydrogen industry. Currently this is basically limited to high pressure gas storage.

Current technology doesn't allow it to be liquified unlike LNG or LPG and therefore any storage system worth having either needs vast salt storage caverns at about 80-120 bar or very expensive pressure vessels or lined rock caverns at up to 200 bar,

We need a lot lot more info here.

Volume / mass of hydrogen to be stored, maximum pressure you are considering, Pressure required by your "power plant". Most critically is number of hours / days you need this storage to provide hydrogen for you. Note the units I'm using....

You may well not like the answer you get.
Don't forget about the amount of power you need to actually compress the hydrogen into the storage in the first place.... Not to be sniffed at as Hydrogen doesn't like being compressed.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It depends on how the hydrogen is being made, and where it is being made.
There is a lot of LH2 storage used, but it is only suitable if there is ongoing usage.
Otherwise the boiloff rate will be too high.

Liquid H2 though is v expensive, small scale and energy intensive (30-35% energy required according to a bit of googling I just did.

If you are just making hydrogen then liquid can be expensive.
But how are you purifying it if you are not liquifying the other gases (and water) out of it?
Or is 95% with a high dew point good enough for you?
And if it is an integrated pure gas production facility then you already have the H2 very cold.
The added energy for liquification is not nearly as severe.

@EnergeTIX
PtH2 and H2tP industry is emerging so there is no rule of thumb. This is subject to a comprehensive feasibility study. Note that this is a surprisingly expensive and challenging stage of a project implementation.

The climate change engineering forum might be worth looking at as well.

Those gravity battery things are just unreal.

Huge installations for actually very little power storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back