Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny

Chemical
Feb 29, 2000
US
I've got a large amount of hydrogen in a fairly remote area<br>

(limitted pipe lines). So I would like to know what is already out there as far as powerfull 300 hp or more in combustion engines? I also need a contact.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

<br>
Vinny:<br>
<br>
Your question is less than clear. Is your hydrogen in storage tanks? Underground caverns? Or did you mean you had a hydrogen synthesis plant? Or what?<br>
<br>
Are you looking for sales outlets or what? When you mentioned combustion engines ... are you thinking of using the hydrogen as fuel in an internal combustion engine? That can be VERY dangerous unless you really know what you are doing. <p> Milton Beychok<br><a href=mailto:mbeychok@home.com>mbeychok@home.com</a><br><a href= Air Pollution Dispersion Modeling</a><br>Visit my URL to learn about "Fundamentals of Stack Gas Dispersion",<br>
the most comprehensive book on air dispersion modeling of <br>
continuous, buoyant air pollution plumes. Site includes published<br>
peer reviews and complete Table of Contents.

Milton,<br>
<br>
We are a small monomers plant in the east part of Iowa. That is why I was looking for a use more than a market. If you have a economical idea for marketing our hydrogen I would be interested in your comments.

Vinny:<br>
<br>
If you have a nearby ammonia synthesis plant or an oil refinery, you should be able to sell the hydrogen to them. But they would have to be quite close to avoid building an expensive pipeline.<br>
<br>
You probably could use it as a fuel, but be VERY careful. Hydrogen has a VERY wide <br>
flammability range ... from 4 percent to 74 percent in air.<br>
<br>
<p> Milton Beychok<br><a href=mailto:mbeychok@home.com>mbeychok@home.com</a><br><a href= Air Pollution Dispersion Modeling</a><br>Visit my URL to learn about "Fundamentals of Stack Gas Dispersion", <br>
the most comprehensive book on air dispersion modeling of <br>
continuous, buoyant air pollution plumes. Site includes published <br>
peer reviews and complete Table of Contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back