Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hydrogen water separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

quan1tum1

Chemical
May 22, 2001
NL
I am looking for some way in which to size the vertical height required to separate water vapour and hydrogen simply by taking into account their different densities. However, the plan is to continually removed this purified hydrogen from the top of this vertical pipe which them means that interparticle drag will drag water vapour with the hydrogen reducing the efficiency of the separation. My idea was to try using the stefan maxwell equations and factoring in a bouyancy term, but i am battling with this.
Any ideas on how to do this ?

Does this have potential or should i just go the route of palladium membranes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear quan1tum1,

From experience,I think you should stick to standard methods of dehydration,like Silica gel ,Alumina beds ,or whatever,like chilling techniques,to knock the moisture..otherwise it will be a very long column..

Regards,

Whylie

To,
quan1tum1,

Your idea is just like layer seperation in gaseous
phase based on density difference but even in this
impurity of either gas will be appeared because of
partial press. equilibrium.

In case of gas phase with loose vanderwall force
of attraction between the atom contamination can not be avoided.

Thanks,

Amin Ismaili

Hi again

thanks for input...I did manage to get a fairly simplistic stefan - maxell model up and running and the column would definately have been way to big. Due to the high diffusivity of the components the concentration gradient with respect to distance is almost none existant, ie the concentration gradient driving force far exceeds the density difference driving force. Which seems reasonable because there is only a density difference of 1 kg / m^3

Till the next problem then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back