Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrolysis degradation of polyurethane

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZscout

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2012
NZ
If injection moulded PUR is used in a hot water situation (80-90 degrees C) what life could we expect? Have I heard right that PUR is prone to hydrolytic instability?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two basic types of thermoplastic polyurethane. Polyester and polyether based types.

Both are relatively prone to hydrolysis but I think the Polyester type are exceptionally bad to hydrolysis and even degrade after prolonged exposure at room temperature.

The details are well documented in literature from Bayer and BASF and probably others. If I saw it in books years ago you should find it on their web sites now.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Millable (solid, vulcanized) polyester urethanes with hydrolysis stabilizer can have very good, but finite, resistance to 80-90C water, the lifetime being depending on the type and level of hydrolysis stabilizer. Also, there are some new polyester grades being developed that have excellent resistance to hydrolysis.

Tom Jablonowski, TSE Industries, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back