Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrostatic Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Boy

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2020
US
Hello, I am working on designing a custom vehicle with hydrostatic 4wd. The details of the vehicle are not important, but I am concerned with the specifications of the drive system. There are many kinds of hydraulic pumps/motors, and many ways to set up their circuits. I have been researching for quite a while trying to find the best way to set up my system, but I am not able to find many good resources for fluid power systems. If anyone can provide a pdf or website link that has detailed information on hydrostatic drives it would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shop Boy said:
The details of the vehicle are not important
If the details of your vehicle are not important is it OK if I send you a pdf with info about a 20-ton heavy piece of forest logging equipment or asphalt paving machine?
Are you looking for a "Central motor" architecture or an "In-wheel motor" architecture?
What are you trying to accomplish with the hydrostatic transmission that you cant from with a standard mechanical transmission?
This website might have some input for a smaller car size hydrostatic transmissions

@akkamaan any pdf with information on specific types of motors and their pros/cons and pros/cons of different circuit setups would be helpful. The reason I am going for hydrostatic drive is primarily for ease of manufacturing, so I don't have to make a custom driveshaft, custom axles, etc. Also, mechanical drives have much more rotational inertia and overall weight which is undesirable. Running hydraulic lines simplifies everything. The main disadvantage I see with it is added expense and increased unsprung mass if the motors are in-wheel, which I would prefer. I have checked out addidrive as well as a few other systems, but they don't have all the information available that I need. The vehicle will only be running on about 10hp and weigh around 300-500lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back