Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrostatic test to fire pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamed eldesoki

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2016
SA
Dears,
i need your advice
i made a design to ethylene tank and i liked with existing network with fire pumps.
i request from my client hydrostatic test to ensure that the flow and pressure will be suitable to the network.
he made test to two fire hydrants,
i want to know how to use this test papers to verify my network pressure and flow although the test result pressure and flow is for fire hydrants??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds all confusing, plus- how can a hydrostatic test be extrapolated to flow rate?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I agree with artisi - you can't verify a network with just hydrostatic data. Need much more information than that.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Mohamed,

Assuming instead of "hydrostatic," you mean you are looking for system pressure loss this should get you in the ball park.

A pipe system follows the relationship:

h = aF^2 + c

Where "h" is head loss in the system and "F" is the flow rate. "c" is the static head which can often be measured with a tape measure but should also include any tank pressure if different from the suction source.

Assuming your test results include a known flow "F" and head "h", you solve for "a". Then, use that "a" in the equation along with the required flow "F" to find your head loss "h" or visa versa.

Beware: You have to watch your units. head of water will be different from head of ethylene because of their difference in density. Likely the data was taken as a pressure. To adjust water pressure to ethylene pressure, multiply the water pressure value by the ethylene specific gravity. Then you will need to convert the pressure to head of ethylene to use in the equation.

i'm hoping he means he's changing the fire water system, not using fire water pump for ethylene....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back