Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hysis discrepancy with two phase slugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenfiddich

Chemical
Sep 14, 2007
US
I'm using Hysis version 2006.5 and it appears that there's some contradictory calculations regarding slug flow. Using the slug calculation/prediction tool, it shows stable two phase flow. Great news! However, double checking with the flow regime map using beggs/brill or Aziz (horizontal pipe), it shows the 2 phase flow as slug.

What gives?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glenfiddich, this is probably because the slug prediction tool is based on one method, and your flow regime map is based on another method. They often disagree.

I recommend you confirm the flow regime using the methods (vertical and horizontal) of Dukler+Taitel. I have had a fair bit of success with them.

Their graphs are more difficult to use than others, but is avialable in some software programs. My biased opinion is to use Korf (

MortenA. Korf is steady state only. But apart from that it covers a lot of ground.

And at the moment we are adding support for Gas/Liquid Wells for a client (will be in next rev).

I have used KORF on my last project and I really liked using it. However, for this thread the subject is flow regime, rather than pressure drop. The slug tool and flow regime maps are contradicting eachother.

Right now I'm in the midst of a voting method where I look at the slug tool result, the Orkiszewski flow regime, the Gregory/Aziz/Mandhame flow regime and the Beggs/Brill flow regime results and taking the consensus.

If I go back to school for my masters, I'm pretty sure my thesis will be on 2 phase flow study. :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back