Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HYSYS – Simulation of a distillation column with defined cutpoints for sidedraw

Status
Not open for further replies.

bird23

Petroleum
Feb 4, 2014
DE
Dear all,
I am trying to find the best way to simulate and design a distillation column with a defined cuts for a sidedraw. The sidedraw will be the mainproduct in this operation.

Example:
Assay Boilingrange: 150°C to 350°C
Sidedraw with CUT: 200-300°C

Which type of Subflowsheet and respective specifications should be used for the simulation?

I solved the Simulation using: “distillation column subflowsheet” with the specs: "temperature on the draw tray" to 200°C @ vap frac 1 and 300°C @ vap frac 0.

But…this way seems to be too time consuming and I think there might be an easier way as defined cuts for sidedraws should be used often enough in refinery-engineering.

What's your poinion?

Regards
Andre

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On Pro II- Simsci, it is possible to set the side draw specification based on ASTM D86 IBP or EBP - you havent said what reference std is relevant to this 200-300degC side draw.

The same specification variable should be available on the simulator you are using ?

Thanks George,

I defined two Specs (in HYSYS called 'cutpoint') to receive a defined draw:

Spec1:
Stage 13
Type: D86
Temp: 200°C
Phase: Liq

Spec2:
Stage 13
Type: D86
Temp: 300°C
Phase: Vap

Let's say stage 13 ist my stage for the sidedraw.

For solving the simulation, I have to vary the drawstage and the cutpoint-specs manually - this way seems to be quite time-consuming.

Regards,
Andre

Wny are you specifying both the vapor and liquid D86 points (and at what % as mentioned by George)?

How many specs do you have to provide and what are you providing in addition to these two?

@all:

see my specs in the attached pdf.

@TD2K:
Wny are you specifying both the vapor and liquid D86 points --> warong post by myself...see pdf attached

My question: is there an easier way to run the simulation than using these three specs?

Regards,
Andre

I'm not seeing a PDF attached. Post a sketch of your system and some information on the feed and products you want.

In general terms, I prefer to initially set up a distillation just on flows, that gets the model converged usually fairly easily. I can then look at the streams and either start changing the flows to get properties to match what I want or change the spec then to a D86 or some other specification. Do one stream at a time, don't try to put D86 specs on all three streams and hit the "solve" button.

Initial estimates can really help. Spend some time with pen and a piece of paper so you have an idea of what the general splits should be. If you are setting up a crude tower, you should be able to look at the feed stream and get reasonable estimates for the naphtha, kero, diesel, etc streams from the feed assay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back