Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hysys vs Aspen Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenfiddich

Chemical
Sep 14, 2007
US
It seems like the only advantage that Aspen Plus offers over Hysys is the ability to handle some (trace) solids...which is a negligible feature as far as I'm concerned. I heard that Hysys is better than Aspen Plus because Hysys does not truncate the binary coefficients. Therefore Hysys is much more accurate with the thermodynamic calculations.

I'm finding that the whole concept behind Aspen Plus is flawed for a user who just wants a simple interface with the program. It seems to be a program that is too complicated to use for people who aren't interested in spending weeks on end just to learn it's complex and redundant "quirks". It's a stupid program built by stupid people.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like when people say a program is more accurate. Define accurate? You can set the tolerances on most simulators and close loops and iterations to 1 part in 10 million if you want. But, since the measurement system in the field is always worse than 1 part in 10,000, why bother.

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, then cut it with a chainsaw.....

I concur with paul1958

To compare the differences, I invite you to try identical hydrocarbon flashes with both programs. I've done it and the difference is significant.

Next!

Can I get any decent tips here?

Still no answers...

I can't use other software because the company I work for doesn't have them. Yes one company makes both but they have a different setup, as I mentioned before. Yes, the same EOS gives different results using the same assays, temperatures and pressures.

Hold on to your britches Glen...

As we type here, the GPA is conducting a study on all the simulation packages. They will publish a list of strenghts and weaknesses. The report will refrain from declaring a winner.

I call BS on getting different results from the same input and EOS. Yeah, there might be a .5 psi difference in dew point presure or something like that, but nothing that is outside what your field devices can detect and repeat.

I had a kid make the same claim on how great brand x was. So I gave him a deethanizer that my brand y couldn't solve. He took the data and built up the tower. Btrand x couldn't solve it. He had bragged that brand x has terrific support, so I insisted that he use it. The tech had him raise the iteration to 1000 and told him it would take several minutes to solve.

Bottomline, it didn't solve. I then took over the keyboard and changed the feed temp and tray location. Then I showed him the output from my brand y with the same changes. Guess what, they had the same answer. Its not the software, its the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back