Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hytrel Equivalents

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZscout

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2012
NZ
Hi Everyone....

My Plastics molder says that Hytrel is the right elastomer to use for our application but because we only need a small quantity we might as well forget asking Dupont. What other alternatives are in the Co-Polyester family that might be more readily available and perhaps cheaper than Dupont? I am likely to use a Eastman Tritan COPE for a transparent hard lens and then need to overmould a gasget wall around the edge of the lense. We want the gasket to be fully bonded to the hard substrate so there is no chance of peeiling or seperation in the 5 years life of the product.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I got a list now of the following:
DSM Anitel
Eastman Neostar
Ticona Riteflex
RTP 1500 Series
Toyobo Pelprene

The trouble now is finding any of these in my part of the world (NZ)... dont want to have to buy in a full pallet of it for our small requirement. we only need half a bag every 4 months.
Thanks for your help

Bribros may sell in NZ.

Rick Pointer may have connections. I think he traded as Rick Pointer Agencies.

Various company websites may list their Aus or NZ agents.

Ticona may be using the old Hoechst marketing facilities/team.

Amcor might be able to source.

APN represent DuPont for small quantities in Aus. If you can call Andrew Pfefferman there and tell him I sent you.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back