Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am getting confusion in welder q 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stan000

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2014
CA
I am getting confusion in welder qualification certificate
PROCESS- GMAW
WELDING BASE METAL- P1 TO P1 - Range Qualified - P1 thru P11, P34,P4X
TEST COUPON = 0.375 "
WELDER IS QUALIFIED - 1/16" TO 0.750" AS PER QW 451.1
My understanding
welder is qualified only on GMAW Process & He Qualified joining P1 TO P11 GROUP BUT NOT P8 TO P8.
please clarify.
regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for reply
my understanding
joining base metal is P1 TO P1 - QUALIFIED RANGE P1 TO ANY GROUP BETWEEN ( P1 TO P8) P4X, P34.
QW-423.1- When a base metal shown in the left column is used for welder qualification, the welder is qualified to weld all combinations of base
metals are shown in the right column.

P-No. 1 through P-No.15F-- Qualified Production Base Metals P-No. 1 through P-No.15F, so he can weld any combination.

& WELDING OF CARBON STEEL IS EASY THAN WELDING STAINLESS.
While waiting for the carbon steel to reach weld temperature, the stainless can overheat and become riddled with hot cracks.

Regards

That is why you have a WPS that has a maximum interpass temperature limit. Not overheating the weld/base metal is not testing the skill of the welder other than to follow instructions. Per ASME Section IX, the welder would be qualified for P8 since it is between 1 and 15F. The F-number of the electrode may be another matter depending on what process you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back