Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am trying to model a beam on elas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdale

Structural
Dec 11, 2002
NL
I am trying to model a beam on elastic foundation in ANSYS. The program requires the input of a value for the foundation modulus. Does anyone know where I could find a value for this? The model is of a beam sat on top of a curved steel shell.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure you are taking the correct approach? Elastic foundations are often assumed to be semi-infinite half spaces. I am not sure if ANSYS assumes this?
From your description your 'foundation' does not seem to be semi-infinite. In which case you will have to take into account the material and geometric stiffness. The simplest way is to account for the geometric stiffness is to model the foundation with normal 'finite' elements.

TERRY [pc2]

With the term elastic foundation normally is referenced a behaviour where the foundation reacts with a force proportional to the pressure acting at a given point, such force being assumed to be independent of pressures acting on other points around. The second condition is of course far from the physical behaviour of most materials, so the results based on models of elastic foundations should be carefully employed, when out of the traditional fields of application.
Steel is really not a good candidate for such a model, as most other construction materials. Soils are better candidates, as they are often at least partly incoherent.
Anyway you should be able to derive the foundation modulus from its physical meaning: if you express it in daN/cm³, it will be equal to the force in daN acting on a square centimeter that causes a deflection of the foundation of 1 centimeter.
I may be wrong, but Roark should have some formulae for semi infinite bodies that should help in the evaluation. prex

Online tools for structural design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back