Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-beam repair 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypack

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2003
US
I work at a facility that has been in operation for over 50 years. Some steel support in our Powerhouse has become corroded. We are thinking of welding flat steel plates on the flanges of the I-beams instead of replacing the beams. I have found some documentation on reinforcement of steel columns. This addresses welding of cover plates to the flange that are at least no narrower than the width of the flange unless a sufficient space be left for the weld. However, one beam has some holes in the web. This beam does not appear to support any weight (bending) but may have tensional (axial) load on it. We are looking to weld plates onto the web. Is there a standard or code that addresses this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am just currently working on a parking ramp made out of steel beams encased in concrete. The concrete has been removed and the steel exposed...with numerous rusted areas, holes in webs, etc.

We are analyzing each and every beam against the required loading using the new, reduced cross sectional areas. In some cases we are adding flange plates and web plates to increase the section of the beam.

We are cleaning all rust off of the beams (Commercial blast cleaning) and then welding the plates onto the beams - - considering fatigue issues at the welds, etc.

No special code covers this that I'm aware of other than the AISC steel spec. and good engineering practice.

If your members are currently under stress, be careful about welding across flanges as you could initiate a plastic failure.

Check AISC database. I had an article written by David Ricker from the 1980's about reinforcing beams, etc. I haven't been able to locate my copy to give you the exact date and issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back