Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-DEAS 12 Visual Error: Wacky Cross-sectional View

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark172

Aerospace
Aug 26, 2008
US
Parts seem to be getting stuck in a weird visual glitch: depending on the view angle, something akin to an unpredictable cross-sectional view is applied to the part. It's hard to explain, but I think if you've experienced it you know what I'm talking about.

I've run into this same visual glitch with NX 5.0, but it fixed itself when I simply clicked isometric view. In I-deas this doesn't fix the problem. I've also tried closing the part, reopening the part, etc., to no avail. The only way to get rid of it seems to be to start over from a fresh file.

If you know the secret to fixing this, let me know.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think what is happening is that you are having a boolean failure when the software tries to make the cross section at the location you are at. Try this offset a line about .005 from the current crossection arrow lines you have at the current time. Then run a cross section along that line and see if this cross section works.

Is this in Drafting or Modeler?

I re read the post and if this is happening in Modeler or assembly Maybe your volume and or thickness clipping is turned on. Go to workbench view settings to check if these are turned on. In default I-Deas this icon is located in the bottom icon panel first row directly below the TV looking Icon.

It's in modeler. Let me clarify - it's not happening when I'm trying to apply a cross-sectional view. The glitch PRODUCES a cross-sectional-LIKE view, that changes as you rotate the part, "cutting" more or less of the part in fairly random ways.

It's a weird, random visual glitch.

I appreciate your help. I'll check the thickness clipping the next time it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back