Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-DEAS Support and Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporware

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2006
US
I just got out of school and I am now working with I-DEAS, but apart from a single introductory I-DEAS class, I have had no training or support with this program. It is practically a black box. I cannot find any user groups, there aren't any books, and the program seems to powered by magical commands that are in no way documented. The help files are not helpful and I am getting very frustrated. I've been managing sofar, but I have reached a point where I just need to break this isolation that I feel. Where do you guys go when you need a reference, or to improve your skills?

I've talked to the tech support at UGS, but I can't call them with every little issue I come across. The seemly simple things become a 6 hour task, and I cannot imagine how to become proficient in my job without finding more resources to lean upon.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out in addition to this site. I'm no longer an I-DEAS user, but I was for quite a long time. PLMWorld has (at least in the past) a lot of experienced users who are willing to help. Things may have changed since the transition to a merged product with UG has started, but I've gotten lots of answers from this group in the past.

Check Amazon for books - not sure what's out there, but it can't hurt.

Talk to your VAR - they may be able to point you in a direction to get some help, and I don't mean additional training. Training is great, but there's no substitute for real world use.

Yeah I've visited PLM world, but I wasn't able to make it to their local user support group. Amazon has one book that I have requested.

What's a VAR?

What is it you need from the Documentation that it's not providing? If it's loaded on your system, there is a very comprehensive command reference included.

I agree with RCDLtd...the documentation is fairly well written and even includes a few tutorials that should get you started. I've only been using I-deas for a few months and I don't find it that much different than other CAD softwares, other than the PDM side (bins, parts, libraries, projects, etc.).

Also, don't expect to be able to teach yourself how to use the high end types of softwares without some classroom training. Most employers are more than willing to send employees to training if the needs are justified.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Well, then I guess it's just the learning curve that I'm frustrated with. I-DEAS is very different from learning any other application that I've had to use for school or for myself. I will be going to UGS training sessions later in the year, but I still have to do my job until then. :) I'm used to being able to figure things out on my own because I have had to do that. Unfortunately, I have had to teach myself alot of I-DEAS, 3D modeling and FEA because the classroom training I had was a verbatim recital of the tutorials with little extension into dealing with errors or inconsistancies in the program or models. The Help system is broken right now, but the IT guy is working on that.

Little things like building models in different ways to achieve different results drive me up the wall.

Once you learn the more popular/efficient modeling methods you will eventually become less frustrated. Just concentrate on understanding what you're doing and I'd suggest taking your time and making sure you're creating quality surfaces/solids to avoid issues downstream. Make sure you're taking full advantage of all automation that the software offers.

Hang in there.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back