Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a Goulds booster pump with p

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogones12

Civil/Environmental
Apr 9, 2012
US
I have a Goulds booster pump with part number 2AB25HM05 that can not build up pressure and keep tripping out due to the low pressure. Any idea what could cause the pump to not able to build up pressure? This is a new installation and the pump was working at one point. The vendor rep told me the pump does not have enough NPSH and recommend another pump. I calculate the NPSH and believe that the NPSH is in range. Please see the diagram below.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=125f1b79-d6c6-4eb1-b0ed-ea828efc01b2&file=Engineer_Tips.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't believe that one can diagnose the problem with a plan drawing. Pumps produce fluid flow, not pressure; the pressure is the resistance to fluid flow in the pipe network.

Do you have a flow diagram?

At what flow rate is the pump operating?

What has changed since the pump was working?

Are the 300 gal tanks atmospheric?

Where's the low pressure? Suction or discharge?

If this is VFD then check the inputs and outputs of the vfd.

Is the flow to high?

What flow does the meter say?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

What has happened between "was working" and now, was any electrical work undertaken and the pump is now running in reverse direction?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back