Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need guidance....... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

miprimo

Civil/Environmental
Jul 22, 2004
US
.....Hello everyone, I'm a CADD Tech for a civil engineering firm in Fla., I have 5 years of Land Surveying and 5 years of Civil experience. I'm not involve in the design process and would like to learn, step by step how it's done, in my office everyone is to busy to take the time. I understand is not something that can be learned from one day to the next, but I like to feel challenged and I don't feel that I am anymore. (drainage calcs., pipe sizeing, min. perimeter elev., f.f.e., control water elev., water, sewer).
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there is a community college in your area you might consider taking some courses in Civil Engineering. You could work toward an associates degree or go farther and try for a BSCE. It is sad that your firm is so short sighted that no one makes the time to train younger employees who are willing to learn. Consider another employer who will.

good luck

First, realize that a lot of design tasks are not learned at universities, so you are not necessarily at a huge disadvantage compared to an entry level engineer. A whole lot of civil engineering is code-based, where your design is developed to meet code requirements and development standards that are set by a local agency, rather than on the basis of the laws of physics or other academic approaches.

That said, one way to start to learn about the underlying calculations and theory (without registering for college coursework), is to consider the vast array of courses available on-line. I've included a link, below, as an example. Courses appear to be free, the fee is incurred if you take the test for pdh credits.

most "good" firms will take the time to educate and train their employees. Have you ever expressed your interest to your supervisor or to the office manager? If they flat out say no, you might be better off looking for another employer who will take more of an interest in your development.

miprimo,

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking to do, but if you're looking to do the job of a civil engineer, you're wasting your time if you do not get a civil engineering degree. Even if you do learn the principles and theory from a book or two, you'll never get paid as much as a registered Professional Engineer, nor will you have the credibility or respect that your work will deserve. Failing to get your degree now can likely result in much regret and dissatisfaction later in life.

I personally know a man who was in your situation 20 years ago (VERY sharp guy who was an engineering tech) who chose NOT to get his degree. Over time, he has grown so bitter towards degreed engineers (most of whom he's 10 X's more capable than), that now he doesn't even bother to do a good job at anything in his professional life. It's really sad and a waste of talent.

My advice is that if you're young and you're already bored and feeling unchallenged, then you need to make a choice. Either change careers entirely, or go get your degree. Sticking around is a recipe of disaster.

Good luck!

Look into going to school at night. The students are mostly people in your shoes. Techs that want the engr money because you already know more than a first year Engr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back