Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need test engineering tips, I'm a new oneííí

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandro

Industrial
Apr 25, 2001
US
Im in a cd-roms boards repair line, Im new in this kind of job, I have seen too many deficiencies in this repair line, and also I need increase production from an average of 780 repair pcb up to 1000 pcb every week, first I need to decide if there anything wrong in the process or if I only need to reorder production flow.
Any help will be appreciate¡¡¡
Thanks¡¡¡

Im working with 5 models but all have the same procedure to test them, I already set all the pc's to test without problema each model so, this isn't the main problem, I have 6 test stations and also 3 repair line and 1 analysis station out of the main flow.
Thanks..
I'll be waiting your reply!!!

Suggestions:
1. One way to increase the productivity is to create an access to a knowledge base, which you may have or may have to create. This would standardize and expedite the process.
2. There may be a need to add some diagnostic hardware.
3. If there is any sharing available, then it should be implemented, e.g. share expertise among the technicians.
4. Etc.

Hello Alexandro!

I too have been tech supervisor on a repair line, and I was blessed with a master technician who taught me the following line speed tricks:

1) Keep track of symptoms and what fixed them. Jbartos (a great help, by the way) suggested a "knowledge base". I used a paper notebook and took info for a week.

2) Segregate your boards into groups by their symptoms.

3) Have troubleshooter(s) work into each symptom pile, one group at a time. She or he will become amazingly fast at nailing the faults within each group, because the list of faults will be sharply limited.

4) Any unit that is not quickly fixed by going through the now-standard fauilt fixes should be put aside (keep segregated by symptom) for your most skilled troubleshooter to look at once every couple of days or so. In these cases the troubleshooter will not have to waste time trying the standard fixes.

5) Refine the symptom/fixes list as your troubleshooters do their thing. Your best troubleshooter can add symptom/fixes as he or she works the "tough" pile - be sure to give praise and honors on this wise person, and they will shine like the Sun for you, while encouraging others to do their best work too.

6) On a regular basis, track and organize a list of fix counts, starting with the one with the most counts, then then next most counts, and so on for 1-2 more fixes. Group the remainder as "OTHER". This is called a Pareto chart and is a good tool to feedback what is failing to the designers or your supplier. You can show them what your #1 problem is right off the Pareto, making it tough for them to ignore your problem. When they put improvements in to stop #1 problem, #2 problem becomes the new #1, and so on. Works great!

Let us know how it goes, Alexandro!
Kevin VanZuilen "KevinVZ"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back