Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i need to make a laser..

Status
Not open for further replies.

superthought

Mechanical
May 8, 2000
US
I'm working on a project and I need a laser and I need to know how to build one. I really appreciate it if you would help.<br><br>Thanx<br>superthough

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't seen much commercial information of laser construction however there are some very active laser hobbyists on the net.

A good starting point is Sam's Laser FAQ by Samuel M. Goldwasser which can be found at
The news group alt.lasers is fairly busy for any questions or queries where you can't find an answer in Sam's FAQ.

There is also at least one supplier of kit's (CO2) these can be found at
Hope this helps.

First, you need to decide what type of laser you wish to build. Second, how much money are you willing to spend, and of course, what do you plan to do with it?
A gas laser can be very ecconomical, but depending on the frequency of light you wish to have, the optics can be quite costly. They are good for both optical applications, laser light shows (HeNe) etc, as well as cutting, such is the case with a CO2 laser.
Do you wish constant output, or pulsed output?
You could go with a solid state laser, using glass type laser rods, which can be quite expensive depending on the material the rod is made of, its length, cross section etc.
If you are a wealthy man, and can afford a laser rod type, pumped with diodes, first, why aren't you a friend of mine, second, wow..they are expensive!
Information to build your own laser, is not hard to find. Choosing one to build, is primarily based on the money you have to spend, what you wish to do with it and your skill level in fabrication of precision optical devices.
If you are looking for simple, but effective lasers, you may wish to start looking into CO2 lasers. They are pretty much the easiest and most cost effective lasers to build and also have the highest output power respectively. If you wish to build a laser for optical effect, holography, laser light shows etc, then don't go with a CO2 laser, as the beam is invisible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back