Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I.T. lost Group rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
There are some Customer defaults that must be changed at the group level. Many of the drafting settings seem to be locked out at User level.

In recent times we went from NX1872 to 1969 to 1972? (I think). At one point the IT person who always had group rights to make changes, lost rights due to an update.

Is there a file that would have been loaded in an update that would have caused this?

Any ideas how to fix it?

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It should only be windows access rights on these files. ( I suppose these are stored in Windows.)
Go Menu- Help -Log File and search for ".dpv" which are the customer defaults files
you should see one file probably named "something_group.dpv" check that file for the access.

Regards,
Tomas

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Thanks Tomas

Looking at this file, I can see how to unlock certain things, but what I dont see is how to unlock the entire thing. When we go to Customer Defaults and look at the drop down for USER, GROUP and SITE, both GROUP and SITE says (Read Only) next to it.

Is there a way to make it so the entire GROUP is unlocked?

I dont know if it will be any different, but she wants to unlock the SITE level as well. We have found both the DPV files. Just cant figure out how to remove the (Read Only) from those two levels.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Is this your login or Her login that you see this : " both GROUP and SITE says (Read Only) next to it." on ?
It should only be the windows access rights to those files which do this.
( We have the issue that we get write access to these all the time despite we do not want to have that...( well,hm, some of us should not have that access...:) )
When you do have write access, you can modify the files using a notepad editor and replace "the correct words" , there is also a "default lock state" switch in the top of the dialog.

Regards,
Tomas

The girl in IT that should have access is getting the Read Only on all three levels, just like everyone else. She says she has rights to the folders.

I also believe she said something about looking at the Site.dpv file in the R:Drive (for us) which is where all of GM's toolkits are located. When looking in my own computer, I found it in the C:Drive. If she has it in both the C:Drive and the R:Drive, could that be what is causing the problem? .... I thought I read something about using environmental variables to read it from another drive, and possibly you need to remove the one in the C:drive for it to work? Not sure if I was understanding what I was reading right.

Ken

If you look for the filename in the NX log, you will see which one NX reads.
for us, the address is defined by UGII_SITE_DIR ( Example : \\serverabc.123.123\Directory\) in which where there is a \startup\ library.
We have the Group directories as sub directories under the site directory , "\Group_A\"

Regards, Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back