Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I understand that the IECC is inten

Status
Not open for further replies.

KANN

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2002
US
I understand that the IECC is intended to limit energy use in facilities, in balance with first costs.

So, I was surprised that an architectural colleague thought that the IECC (commercial provisions, 2009) would not apply to an interior space to which we are considering adding air conditioning. The colleague’s thought is that since the adjacent space is not an outdoor space (the adjacent space is at outdoor air conditions), it is not applicable. Additionally, the space is only 3000 sf, and the architect viewed this as is inconsequential space compared to the large facility it is located in. The colleague talked to a local code official, and that code official agreed that the IECC does not apply.

I don’t understand why the IECC would not apply in this application. An early paragraph in the code says that any unconditioned space that is later conditioned, must comply with the code, and I do not see exceptions for where the space is located or the size of the space. I would value thoughts about whether to discuss this more with local code officials before starting into the design phase. I’m not asking for a code interpretation as this may come down to code nuisances beyond my current understanding, but I am asking for a gut hunch whether there are merits to my interpretation of the IECC scope of coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back