Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I want to learn Concrete design and analysis. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bora

Civil/Environmental
Feb 15, 2000
TR
I have lost my house at 12 Kasim Duzce Eartquake in Turkey.So,I want to learn concrete's properties.I need <br>
all information about concrete and design codes.Where can I<br>
find ?(On-line)<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bora,<br>
I've noticed that you have very broad questions posted in a few forums. Maybe you could give us a synopsis of your background. Are you an engineer? If so, which discipline? If not, are you willing to go to university?<br>
<br>
Concrete design is a senior level class at most universities. It is the culmination of a couple of years of study. Pointing you to a book or to a website without proper training, quite frankly, would be dangerous. <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

In regard to the first post, there really is no question but to agree with Imagineer's reply. Properties of Concrete and reinforcing design, knowledge of local building codes, economic factors and business relationships are all inputs that Joe Homeowner will have a hard time putting into the design equation to come up with a cost-effective structure; a few years of education and professional practice is required. How much is that worth? On the other hand, if the only question is to understand what goes on in the design process, they're plenty of texts on the subject. One look would probably be sufficient to understand if there is too much being asked, but at least there would be enough there to let the person with the initial query ask some intelligent questions when he proceeded with the next step of construction.<br>
<br>
As an example, my wife can't fix a car, but at least she knows enough not to be snookered when the garage estimates work for a repair that I took care of the day before.<br>
<br>
The post raises a side issue that is dear to my heart as well. It sure seems that we engineers sell ourselves short only too often. Lawyers and Doctors are very protective of their knowledge. One may argue about the true value of a lawyer, but they still command nice fees when you (ultimately) have to use them. <br>
<br>
If you can't trust the contractor and building inspectors, who else are you going to trust? Isn't our training worth something?

Dear Bora,<br>
I felt the eartquarke in ISTANBUL.<br>
<br>
Concrete design and analysis is very complicate. <br>
<br>
But, basic rule of the building construction announced by Ready Mixed Concrete Union.<br>
<br>
Please to feel free to contact me directly <A HREF="mailto:spi@engineer.com">spi@engineer.com</A> to get specific information.<br>
<br>
For general, concrete must be BS25 minimum, but not enough. You should design reinforcement as well as, geological proporties and basement structure.<br>
<br>
You also can use sismic isolators.<br>
<br>

Merbas,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;Please don't misunderstand me.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think you were trying to help Bora.&nbsp;&nbsp;But I think you did him a disfavor.&nbsp;&nbsp;As several others have pointed out, not understanding the basis behind the &quot;basics&quot; can get you in trouble.&nbsp;&nbsp;I suspect that the reason why so many of the buildings fell down in the earthquake was that the builders followed &quot;the code&quot; and &quot;associations instructions&quot; but did not understand either's limitations.&nbsp;&nbsp;When something out of the builder's experience or something for which the code did not plan happened, the building collapsed.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't know about the codes in Turkey but I do know the codes in the US, Europe and Australia are MINIMUM safety codes based on what the LAWMAKERS and BUREAUCRATS have experienced, not on engineering principles.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Although, the codes are becoming more engineering based, such as the latest seismic and wind loads in the US codes).&nbsp;&nbsp;Telling people to build things to the code, in my opinion, is a recipe for disaster because they usually assume that it is a desirable &quot;goal&quot; as opposed to an ABSOLUTE minimum.<br><br>I am not trying to make engineering into some secretive techno-religion but we have learned enough to know that &quot;just build it&quot; is NOT a safe thing.<br><br>Respectfully, <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

In the US, what part of the building code related to concrete design was written by lawmakers and bureaucrats? Design loads are based on ASCE 7 - a society of engineers. Concrete design is based on ACI 318, the committee for which is composed of practicing engineers and engineering academia (likewise for steel, masonry, and light gage, incidently.)<br><br>I agree with your premise that designers shouldn't turn off their brains and rely solely on the code, but let's not be too harsh on the model building codes. We're not talking ADA or ergonomics here, we talking concrete design.<br>

I was part of a major building design effort that saw its erection interrupted by the quake that Bora is referring to.&nbsp;&nbsp;In fact, Turkey's building code in many ways in MORE stringent than our current UBC!&nbsp;&nbsp;However, enforcement via building inspectors is quite often either inadequate, absent, or even corrupt.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whereas many relatively recently built existing facilities saw complete devastation, our new facility survived quite well.&nbsp;&nbsp;Any code is only as good as it is adhered to. <p>Frank<br><a href=mailto:Francis.Mann@Jacobs.com>Francis.Mann@Jacobs.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Dear Bora,

I was in Istanbul, while earthquake was hitting. I felt it very strongly. To realize how it occurs is very complicated as well to design or retrofit ( strenghtening ) reinforced concrete buildings and their elements. For brief description, you can visit &quot; deprem.gov.tr &quot;. If you want to take comprehensive knowledges, please contact me.

erksamhal@ixir.com

Best regards,

One and all, Thanks.
I reached the various and useful knowledges via (by means of) free SAP 2000 Educational CD from CSI Berkeley (baser.suat@nk.anzeiger.net). For example, &quot;SAP 2k Concrete Design Manual&quot; includes ACI 1995, AASHTO LRFD, CSA 1994, BSI 1998, EuroCode 2 and NZS 1997 (New Zeland) design codes as implemented in SAP2k.
I'am searching, ever since I posted the my first message. But my problems about concrete and steal are increasing every day.
Unfortunately, My English is insufficient. I can't tell my problems properly. So, I don't asking frequently this forum. Of course, I can't send any reply in English. I am avoiding.
In spite of my insufficiencies, I think, you will endure me very little time.(I try to learn advanced and depth English.)
I still want to obtain more knowledges concerning civil and earthquake engineering.
I will contact merbas, Frances ,ErkanSamhal or anyone who will help me.
A day, I hope that, I help someone, too.
Sincerely

Cevdet Bora Arslan
cvdtbrrsln@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back