IBC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbuilder

Structural
Jul 1, 1999
KW
Gents,

When does IBC 2012 come into effect? Is IBC 2009 immwediately withdrawn.

The reason I am asking is that I'm working overseas on a contract that mentions ibc 2009, but in the same breadth mentions the latest versions of codes are to be used at the time the contract is signed.

Regards,

Newbie!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But I have found that time generally to be around June of the following year. So, most jurisdictions in my local area might adopt the current IBC in June of 2013. Again, though, check with the jurisdiction where the work is being permitted.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The simple fact is you have to check with your local jurisdiction. Whenever I'm doing a project in a different county, township, city, state than I'm specifically familiar the first thing I do is get someone on the phone from the local building code office who will be reviewing my submittals and ask what code they use. Also ask if they have any locally adjustments to the code. In chicagoland, for example, so communities have their own fixed snow load that they specify, regardless of what ASCE 7 ground snow maps might say.

If possible don't rely on websites, they may not be up to date.

M.S. Structural Engineering
Licensed Structural Engineer and Licensed Professional Engineer (Illinois)

Maryland is already on IBC 2012. Florida is effectively on it from a structural perspective as they made state code modifications to adopt ASCE7-10 wind loads and have no snow or seismic load requirements. California will be on it effective Jan. 1, 2013. I would anticipate that a number of other states (Washington, Oregon, Utah) will be on it by the end of first quarter 2013. The East Coast is a little more random on implementation dates.

Maryland is not entirely on board with 2012. Baltimore City uses 2009 currently.

Before you doing anything creative, make sure the code likes the artwork you are trying to wow the world with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back