Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IBC/NFPA/IFC Question Emergency Generator Fuel Line in Parking Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highstepper

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2014
US
A client is contemplating re-routing his supply, return and vent lines through an underground parking garage to the emergency generator room. I do not see in the Code anywhere (Texas) that the fuel lines are required to be in a duct or separate pipe chase that has a fire resistance rating. Nor do I see anything that requires the fuel lines to be in a separate opening from the other pipes and conduits in the pipe chases in the garage. I would expect to see this for the parking garage but I checked in NFPA 110 and IBC 1305 and I do not see anything. Does anyone know whether there is a requirement for the pipe to have a fire resistance rating/be located in a duct?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Highstepper:

The requirements for the fuel oil supply and return piping are in two different codes. In my jurisdiction in Texas, we've adopted the 2012 International Mechanical Code, which has requirements in Chapter 13. Piping requirements are also found in 2012 IFC Section 5703.6. The IFC does not require piping to be in a rated shaft. IFC Section 5703.6.10 does require the piping to be welded when it is conveying a Class I liquid and the piping is located in a concealed space. Since this is a generator I'm assuming diesel fuel is the source of energy, which is a Class II liquid - so the section I cited is hopefully not relevant to your case.

Thank you, Stookeyfpe! That is what I thought as well. I reviewed the Mechanical Code as well and came to the same conclusions. I just needed confirmation from others. I really appreciate your response.

Highstepper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back