Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICC Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonstone

Civil/Environmental
Oct 29, 2004
US
I have a civil engineering, construction management background. I am thinking of doing the ICC (International Code Council) certification. Any comments on how it could help me, salary benefits, etc are appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These certifications are primarily meant for individuals who work for building code enforcing agencies(examples: building officials, plans examiners, inspectors etc) and construction materials testing agencies (special inspectors).

If you work for a construction management company that also offers inspection services for building construction, then it could be beneficial.

In most cases, individuals only attain a certification or a license, if it is requirement.

go for it!! even if you're not sure, take it. I did it, (ICC electrical inspector) When I told my boss about taking the exams, he was not even impressed or interested. I passed the exams, and later a big goverment job came, which required to be inspected day by day for 2+ hours for more than 8 months...guess who was officially qualified?
You never know, you might be selected for a nice job just by having a certificate/qualification, plus you keep your self up to date on code issues, don't underestimate this opportunity.
Regards

I work at an MEP engineering firm that reimburses its employees upon taking ICC certification exams. While our company doesn't really perform any inspection services, our boss still encourages us to take them. I sometimes come across job postings that list ICC certification as a prerequisite. Anyways, I agree with the poster above. Go for it! It certainly can't hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back