Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Icons not working in WIndows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dklarz

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2005
US
Couldn't find anything relative in search. I'm running SolidWorks 2018 on a new Legion Laptop with Windows 10. I can't seem to get icons to display in file explorer like they do in SolidWorks 2017. I have all of the options in explorer and SolidWorks set up as they were in 2017. What I see in explorer as a file type is "Solidworks 2018 Application" instead of each file type. Is anybody experiencing the same issue? Anybody know how to fix this? I uploaded a picture for reference. Thanks - Dave.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=92f74513-d7ca-4ca5-9feb-4c40330913f1&file=SW_2018_file_error.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GRF - Don't thumbnails show a picture where icons only show a representation of the file? In that case, I'd think I'd want to show thumbnails in SW. None-the-less, I tried your method and it didn't work...

I have it unchecked and I only get the typical SW icon not the icon that looks like the figure. I have also enabled some settings in windows from a performance standpoint that might be why I do not see them. In Windows open the System properties dialog box. If I look at the advance tab and click performance, settings, I have "let Windows choose what's best for my computer" but, at one point I had changed it to "Adjust for best performance". I switched back because of the way it was making different windows look. I think somewhere in there it changed.

The other place to look is in Windows Explorer look under view, options, on the view tab make sure you do not have "Always show icons, never thumbnails" checked off. (That is what is actually probably limiting me.

I do not like to see the parts as it is supposed to slow things down. I am impatient and want my computer to anticipate what I am going to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back