Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ID honing done with machine centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

limct

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
HK
Hi there,
Can anyone recommend me a supplier who's selling the attachment/assembly unit that can fit into a conventional machining centre in order for it to perform ID honing process.

Best regards,
ct

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you need to hone on a machining center? For size control or finish? Roller burnishing can perform well in and uninterrupted hole.

Typically machining centers do not perform honing because abrasives and ways are a problem.

I have honed on a lathe using a diamond hone. I found the following link and maybe your answer.

I don't know your specifics and this is a pretty old thread, but I have to share this with everyone. Cogsdill makes a reamer called a Sheffcut Reamer. In brass, we are holding a bore within a .0005 (using less than 70% of the tolerance, using an air gage to scan the bore)total tolerance on a 3 axis lathe, boring/reaming/honing an eccentric bore diameter of .6510 with a blind depth of 1.5". The bore finishes at an 8 micro finish consistently. The tool has one adjustable cutting blade and three support pads. The tools are specially designed for bore size and length and can be used with internal or external coolant. The tools are fairly easy to set up between bench centers. We are leaving .008-.013 clean-up stock pre-drilling with a .6400 drill. Obviously the drill and Sheffcut need to be dialed in, but I am allowing it to run out as much as .0006 and Sheffcut is still cutting to size. The pads help to stabilize the cutting point within the bore. We run 100 pc lots once every two weeks on three different part configurations. Virtually no scrap and minimal set-up. The tool can be set off-line so it has no effect on production. Actually we have been able to run several thousand parts without having to adjust the tool. One stipulation, the tool requires cuttting oil. Cycle time does suffer a bit. Feeding at .004/rev at 500 rpm in and out of bore. The old method was a special two-flute "boring endmill". We would have it ground .0003 to .001 undersize and tweak the feeds and speeds in and out of the bore to control size. What a nightmare!! Oh and for lathe applications where you are boring on center, instead of holding the tool rigidly, they offer a floating holder of some sort to further relieve any tool runout issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back