Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ideas for low-resolution to HDMI video conversion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzWeaver

Electrical
Jun 18, 2010
US

I am investigating methods to convert a low resolution digital video into a "standard" video format that could be transmitted by HDMI or DVI-D. (such as 480p, or 720p) This video is used internal to a consumer photo printer to drive the CGD control panel, but is also used to display photo previews and some internet content. The CGD is 480x270 pixels, and is supplied 24-bit RGB parallel data at a 9.6 MHz clock rate, along with horizontal and vertical sync pulses. I would have access to this 24-bit data bus, H&V syncs, and clock.

It appears there are chips, along with some supporting components, that might be capable of this task. However, most specify the ability to convert from "standard" resolutions, beginning at 640x480, but nothing below.

Ideally, minimal soft/firmware intervention should be needed, but I could set up some registers via I2C or other means if needed.

For now, I'm building a simple 3 channel analog DAC circuit (Analog Devices ADV7125) to connect to a 15-pin D-shell VGA connector. But I don't know if I'll find a stand-alone converter box (at any price) that will handle the lower-than-VGA resolution.

If anyone knows of some chip sets to provide a total solution, or even an available converter box that will handle and up-convert the low-res analog - I'd be most interested in hearing!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

-- Buzz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, 27 parallel bits input running at nearly 10 MHz, and digital video output.

Step one, find a box/gadget/IC with that I/O set.

Or, more likely, build it up from building blocks.

VE1BLL: Thanks for the prompt reply! [surprise]

IRstuff: Thanks for the useful information!!! [thumbsup2]
I might be able to use something like this for a short-term (demo) solution. Have you ever used this Matrox board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back